Your roof has served you well over the years. Unfortunately, there comes a time in every roof’s life when it will need to be replaced. Knowing when this will be can help you better budget for time and money.
Ignoring the need to replace your roof will likely cause it to become more vulnerable to damage, which can result in all kinds of other problems (such as leaks and water damage). With all this in mind, you’re probably wondering how often a roof replacement is required.
How Old Is Your Roof?
It doesn’t matter how much you’ve invested in your roof, eventually, it will need to be replaced. Every manufacturer will provide you with an idea of how long you can expect your roof to last. However, the actual lifespan of the roof is going to depend on a variety of factors. These factors include whether the roof was properly installed, what kind of materials were used, what kind of wear and tear your roof has sustained over the years, and whether your roof has been properly maintained.
The following are some different types of roofs you can install and how long they tend to last on average.
- Asphalt shingle roofs – Asphalt shingles are one of the most affordable roof types and last between 15 and 30 years.
- Cedar shingles and shakes – A step up in quality from asphalt shingles; however, they generally won’t last more than 30 years.
- Metal roofs – Metal roofs are more durable and can last as many as 70 years.
- Concrete and clay tiles – Concrete and clay tiles are very strong but can be expensive upfront. However, they can last up to 30 years.
- Natural slate – Natural slate tends to last the longest – more than a century when properly maintained.
Signs You May Need a Roof Replacement
An aging roof isn’t the only time you may need to replace your roof. The following are a few signs your roof might need to be replaced, whether or not it has lived a long life.
- The shingles are damaged or missing – One or two damaged or missing shingles is usually no big deal to repair. However, if you can visibly see major sections of shingles are curling and buckling or are completely missing, it may be time for your roof to be replaced. Additionally, if the shingles are missing or damaged are in the valleys of your roof, there’s a good chance a replacement is needed.
- Granules in your gutters – If there are a significant amount of granules in your gutters, it means your shingles are wearing down. It is a result of the asphalt drying out with age and tends to indicate your roof is nearing the end of its expected lifespan.
- The roof is sagging – There’s no doubt your roof needs to be replaced if it begins to sag. This is usually the result of excessive water damage or rot in the structure of your roof.
- There’s mold growing on the roof – If you can see mold growing on your roof, it’s most likely because moisture has been trapped inside. If this is the case, there’s a chance of more significant water damage beneath the shingles to be addressed. If there is more serious damage hidden from view, you will likely have to replace your roof.
- There’s serious roof damage – Roof damage is not uncommon here in North Port, especially during hurricane season. A particularly powerful storm can cause massive damage to your roof, especially if it causes debris to fly into your roof (such as large tree branches). If your roof has experienced serious damage as a result of a storm, replacing the entire roof may be the best option.
While some roof issues can be repaired, these are some of the common problems which typically require a roof replacement.
Although age is certainly a good way to judge whether your roof is nearing the end of its lifespan, it’s not the only indication you need a roof replacement. Certain types of damage may require you to replace your roof sooner than you expected. Additionally, if your current roof was installed by a previous owner, then you may not actually know how old your roof is. Fortunately, you can determine whether your roof is in need of replacement by having a professional roofer come to your home to perform a thorough inspection.
Find out if you need to replace your roof by contacting us at Affluent Exteriors to schedule a complimentary roof inspection today.
Required fields are marked with (*)