Metal Roofs for Your Home
Of all the different roof types on the market today, metal roofs are the one growing the fastest in popularity. Whether it’s the look or the fact that you can choose from tin, zinc, aluminum, copper, or galvanized steel, metal roofs are attracting a ton of attention.
If you are considering a metal roof for your next roofing or replacement project, you should be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of choosing this particular roof type considering this is one of the biggest investments you will make in your home.
Advantages of Metal Roofs
- Metal roofs have longevity and can last 40-70 years, depending on the material
- Some metal roofs can sustain winds gusts up to 140 miles per hour, will not corrode or crack, and may be impact-resistant (depending on which metal you choose)
- Metal roofs don’t need the periodic maintenance that other roofing materials often require, however they should be inspected periodically to make sure no repairs are required
- Metal roofs will not spark and ignite into flames during a wildfire or a lightning strike
- Metal roofs reflect solar radiant heat, which can reduce cooling costs by 10-25%
- Metal roofs are 100% recyclable at the end of their life as a roof
Disadvantages of Metal Roofs
- Metal roofs can be as much as two or three times more expensive than other roofing materials, such as asphalt shingles
- Metal roofs can be noisy, especially during a heavy rain or hailstorm, and while adding more insulation during installation usually solves this problem, it will increase the cost of the project
- Metal roof materials that are attached as large panels tend to expand and contract, if they are not properly installed with fasteners that allow the metal to “breathe”, the panels may loosen. It is essential to use certified roofing contractors for proper roof installation
- If a repair is required or a home extension is added years later, it may be difficult to make an exact match to the existing metal
- If water accumulates on the roof because of poor-quality installation or repair, it can eventually cause serious damage
Hire the Right Roofing Contractor
Make the most of your metal roofing project by using a reliable roofing contractor. Along with licensing and insurance, factory certifications and industry associations are another way to gauge a roofing company’s expertise. Other than the superior quality of work, this also allows them to provide exclusive benefits that other contractors can’t.
Affluent Exteriors, your trusted roofer, is proud to be a member of the Metal Roofing Alliance (MRA). The MRA is the leading voice for companies and professionals involved in the residential metal roofing industry. Since inception in 1998, they’ve shown millions of people just how beautiful, durable and economical metal roofing can be. The MRA is dedicated to helping homeowners make educated roofing decisions and connecting them with expert metal roofing professionals.
With our proven track record of customer satisfaction, you can expect no less than exceptional services from Affluent Exteriors. Contact us for a free consultation or estimate on your next Metal Roof project.
To experience our fully digital, transparent, industry-leading roofing services, complete the form below and we will follow up to schedule an appointment and give your project the attention, skill, and expertise it deserves.