Clay Tile Roof for Your Home
For centuries, Clay Tile Roofshave been a popular choice for the roofs of residential homes and commercial buildings.
When considering a clay roof for your next roofing or replacement project, you should be aware of all the advantages and disadvantages of choosing this particular roofing material considering it is one of the biggest investments you will make in your home.
Advantages of Clay Tile Roofs
- Clay tiles are durable to the point that you will most likely never have to worry about having a roof replacement again in your lifetime
- Clay tiles can last over 100 years and are known to withstand extreme weather conditions including high windows over 150 mph and hail as large as two inches
- Clay tiles add significantly to a home’s resale value
- Clay roofing tiles are a ‘green roofing option’ because they are made from earth materials, not chemicals, and can be easily recycled once removed
- Clay roof tiles are energy efficient with characteristics including thermal mass, airflow, solar reflectance, and thermal emittance working together to keep your home cool in the summer and warm in the winter
- The wide variation of styles and colors available for clay tiles allows for a variety of looks to both residential and commercial owners
- Roof maintenance is almost non-existent with clay tile roofs and if broken, they can be easily fixed as they are individually installed
Disadvantages of Clay Tile Roofs
- A beautiful clay tile roof comes at a cost as much as two to three or more times the price of asphalt shingles
- Clay tiles are heavy and your roof deck must be able to withstand a weight as much as 850 pounds per square foot
- Not every roofer has worked with clay tiles, so it’s essential to use a qualified, expert roofing contractor for these applications
- Clay tiles are difficult to install because they need to be measured precisely, laid properly in a specific pattern, and double checked that no moisture is able to get in
- Although clay tiles are very durable in extreme weather, they can still break from heavy impacts such as hail, a fallen tree or even the pressure of walking on them, unlike studier materials like concrete tiles
Hire the Right Roofing Contractor
Make the most of your roofing project by using a reliable roofing contractor. Along with licensing and insurance, certifications and associations are another way to gauge a roofing company’s expertise. Other than the superior quality of work, this also allows them to provide benefits that other contractors can’t.
Affluent Exteriors, your trusted roofer, is proud to be a member of the Tile Roofing Institute and have certified installers on staff. Founded in 1971, the TRI has played a major role in testing tile under severe weather and seismic conditions, as well as developing legislation of building codes. Today, TRI trains roofing installers, inspectors and industry professionals on proper, code approved methods for installing concrete and clay tile roofs. TRI is dedicated to growing the tile roofing market through technical expertise, training, and building awareness for the many benefits of tile. With our proven track record of customer satisfaction, you can expect no less than exceptional services from Affluent Exteriors. Contact us for a free consultation on your next Tile Roof project.