Slate Roofs for Your Home
Slate roofing, used in both residential and commercial applications, is one of the most durable and attractive roofing materials available on the market.
When considering a slate roof for your next roofing or replacement project, you should be aware of all the advantages and disadvantages of choosing this particular roofing material considering it is one of the biggest investments you will make in your home.
Advantages of Slate Roofs
- Slate is one of the most durable and attractive roofing materials available today
- Slate roof tiles are fireproof, environmentally friendly and can be recycled after use
- Slate roof tiles are made of 100% natural stone and have a natural cleft surface with beautiful color variation ranging over the entire roof
- Slate is resistant to insects and corrosion and is relatively maintenance free
- Installed and cared for properly, it is not unheard of for a slate roof to outlast the buildings they are installed on and last to 150 years or more
Disadvantages of Slate Roofs
- The biggest disadvantage of slate is expensive and difficult to install
- Not every roofer has worked with slate roof tiles so a qualified roofing contractor is a must for these applications
- Slate roof tiles are extremely heavy and the roof deck needs to be reinforced to hold the weight, unlike lighter cedar roofing materials
- Slate can be brittle and easily damaged by hail, flying debris or even foot traffic on the roof, while concrete tiles or metal roofing can withstand large amounts of force
- If a slate roof is damaged, it can be very difficult to find replacements that match and because it is a natural stone, the color variation from lot to lot can be so extreme that you may have a “patch” on your roof that stands out a mile
Hire the Right Roofing Contractor
Make the most of your roofing project by using a reliable roofing contractor. Along with licensing and insurance, certifications and associations are another way to gauge a roofing company’s expertise. Other than the superior quality of work, this also allows them to provide benefits that other contractors can’t.
Affluent Exteriors, your trusted roofer, is proud to be a member of the National Slate Association. The National Slate Association is dedicated to promoting excellence through the development and dissemination of technical information, standards, and educational resources for the slate industry. With our proven record of customer satisfaction, you can expect no less than exceptional services from Affluent Exteriors. Contact us for a free consultation on your next Slate roof project.